(as of 02/22/2017)
Click here for printer-friendly version.
Wayne Community College Foundation Scholarships
- Seniors who plan to attend Wayne Community College after graduation should see Mrs. Coates to pick up an application.
- Scholarship value ranges from $500 - $1000 per semester, depending on student’s GPA.
- Application deadline: March 31st.
General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant Program
- Sponsored by the Air Force Aid Society for Air Force dependents.
- This grant program is competitive in its need-based selection criteria, uniquely tailored to recognize the proper weighing of family income and education cost factors.
- Grants ranging from $500 to $4,000 are awarded to selected sons and daughters of Active Duty, Title 10 AGR/Reserve, Title 32 AGR performing full-time active duty, Retired, Retired Reserve and deceased Air Force members; spouses of Active Duty members and Title 10 AGR/Reservists; and surviving spouses of deceased personnel for their full-time undergraduate studies.
- Apply online at https://www.afas.org/education-grants.
- Students must complete Part I (Eligibility) online by March 10th; Part II (transcript & Student Aid Report from FAFSA) must be completed by April 30th.
SJAFB Spouses’ Club Scholarships
- Merit-based scholarships for military dependent children of an active duty, reserve, guard, retired, MIA/POW, deceased or deceased member of the US Air Force; military sponsor’s most recent duty station must be SJAFB.
- Selection criteria include: academic achievement, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, work history, citizenship, leadership roles, awards/honors; reference letters and personal essays.
- See Mrs. Coates for an application; postmark deadline: March 15th.
Rotary Club of Goldsboro Scholarship
- $1,000 scholarship for a deserving senior planning to attend a four year college or university
- Applicants must write an essay about how they exemplify the ideals of the Rotary Club. A list of these ideals and the Rotary’s Four-Way Test for making decisions is provided with the scholarship application.
- See Mrs. Coates for an application; deadline: April 1st.
Tri-County EMC Scholarship
- Each year, Tri-County EMC awards numerous scholarships valued at $500 to seniors planning to attend a four-year college and $250 scholarships to seniors planning to attend a community college, junior college, or technical program.
- Students at EWHS are eligible to apply!
- Please see Mrs. Coates for an application; deadline: March 31st.
A’Tiya Maddox Scholarship
- This scholarship is designated for one graduating senior from EWHS in memory of A’Tiya TiJonna Maddox who graduated from EWHS in 2014. It seeks to recognize a senior who exemplifies the qualities of integrity and commitment to others.
- Preference will be given to applicants pursuing a degree in one of the following areas: early childhood education, the medical field, health/human services, or business/marketing.
- See Mrs. Coates for an application; deadline: March 3rd.
NC Alpha Delta Kappa Scholarships
- This educational sorority sponsors three different scholarships each year, valued at $2,000 each.
1. Eunice Riggins Memorial Scholarship – for females only; applicants must be academically ranked in the top 10% of their senior class and have a minimum SAT score of 1220 or ACT composite score of 25.
2. Mary Rose Mills-Linda Rankin Memorial Scholarship – for males or females; applicants must be academically ranked in the top 10% of their senior class and have a minimum SAT score of 1290 or ACT composite score of 27.
3. Clare Johnson Marly-Mary Earle Berger Fine Arts Scholarship – for males or females who are planning to major in the area of fine arts; applicants must be ranked in the top 20% of their senior class and have a minimum SAT score of 1220 or ACT composite score of 25.
- See Mrs. Coates for an application; deadline: March 15.
Children of NC Law Enforcement Officers Scholarships
- This scholarship program is for children of NC Law Enforcement Officers who were killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty.
- It is sponsored by the NC Bar Association and scholarships range in value from $1,500 to $4,500.
- For more information, visit http://www.ncbar.org/members/divisions/young-lawyers/; deadline: Monday, April 3rd.
NC Society of Accountants
- $750 scholarships sponsored by the NC Society of Accountants
- Applicants must show a firm intention to work in the field of accounting and plan to enroll in an accounting degree program at a 2- or 4-year institution.
- A copy of your parents’ income tax returns will be required to be considered.
- See Mrs. Coates for an application; deadline: April 15th.
- This is NOT the credit union scholarship!
- Is your parent an employee of the state of NC and a member of its advocacy group, SEANC (State Employees Association of North Carolina)? If so, you should apply for this scholarship!
- SEANC will award 15 merit-based scholarships and 15 financial need scholarships for students planning to attend a four-year college. They will award 4 merit-based and 4 financial need scholarships for students planning to attend a 2-year junior college, community college, or technical school.
- The scholarship application is available online at http://www.seanc.org/scholarship; it must be printed and returned to the scholarship chairperson of the SEANC district in which the parent is a member; deadline: April 15th.
SECU/People Helping People Scholarship
- $10,000 scholarship sponsored by the State Employees’ Credit Union
- The Scholarship Committee at EWHS is asked to select one recipient of this scholarship each year.
- Applicants must be planning to attend one of the 16 constituent campuses in the UNC system.
- Preference will be given to applicants whose parents work in the public sector (state, local, or federal government; public health; public education); additionally, preference will be given to applicants majoring in public service degree programs (such as public health, education, public administration, or public policy)
- Applicants are required to submit the FAFSA; a copy of the Student-Aid-Report (SAR) must be submitted with your application.
- See Mrs. Coates for the preliminary application; deadline: April 10th.
Golden LEAF Scholarship
- A total of 215 awards will be offered to first-time recipients to assist with tuition at any of the UNC system campuses or any of NC private, non-profit institutions.
- The awards are valued at $12,000 ($3,000 per year for up to 4 years).
- Recipients are selected based on GPA, financial length, length of residence in NC, and ability to communicate a commitment and desire to return to a rural county that is economically distressed (i.e., Wayne County or some other rural county)
- The application is available at www.cfnc.org/goldenleaf; deadline: March 1st.
- Applicants must also submit the FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov) to demonstrate that the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) does not exceed the Cost of Attendance (COA).
- See Mrs. Coates if you have questions!
Service Academy Nominations
- Congressman G.K. Butterfield, Representative for the First Congressional District of NC has the distinct privilege of nominating students to the military service academies including: the US Air Force Academy, US Military Academy, US Naval Academy, and the US Merchant Marine Academy. (the US Coast Guard Academy does not require a Congressional Nomination.)
- Each service academy provides a bachelor’s degree and graduates automatically enter their chosen branch of the military as an officer. In exchange for signing up for 5 years of active duty, students receive: free tuition, free room and board, free books, and free medical/dental insurance; these benefits represent nearly $400,000 in value.
- Eligibility criteria, instructions, and the Service Academy Nomination Application are available at www.Butterfield.house.gov.
Partnership East @ WCC
- This is a transfer program offered at Wayne Community College for students who plan to major in elementary education, special education, and/or middle grades education. They attend WCC for the first two years after high school and then join a cohort of students to complete their bachelor’s degree through East Carolina University. The ECU classes are taught on the campus of WCC for ease and convenience. Students can save lot of money earning their 4-year degree through this program!
- Students who participate may be eligible to receive up to $3,800 of financial support during their senior year internship semesters.
- See Mrs. Coates for a brochure or contact Lynn Mooring at Wayne Community College (919.739.7012).
West Teaching Scholarship at Catawba College
NC Reach Program
- State-funded scholarship offered to qualified applicants for up to 4 years of undergraduate study at NC public colleges and universities
- Applicants must be young adults (up to age 25) who either aged out of NC foster care or were adopted from NC foster care on or after their 12th birthday
- NC Reach students receive the following benefits:
- Funding to cover tuition and fees at their school without having to take out student loans
- Many students also receive a refund which may be used for school-related living expenses
- Students are matched with a NC Reach coordinator who helps them academically, personally and in designing a career path
- They are eligible to request a personal coach to assist and encourage their progress in school through telephone calls, email and social media
- They receive three care packages during each school year
- They are eligible to participate in the Foster Care to Success InternAmerica Program
- Students apply online at www.NCReach.org.
NC Veterans Affairs Scholarship
- Four-year scholarship program for students of disabled, deceased, combat or POW/MIA war veterans.
- Requirements: veteran parent was a legal resident of NC at the time of said veteran’s entrance into that period of service in the military OR be born and raised in NC their entire lives and have a veteran parent
- For a list of qualifying criteria and scholarship descriptions, contact the Wayne County Veterans Service Office (731-1490) or email email@example.com.
**The scholarship list will be updated as new scholarship applications become available. You may join Mrs. Coates email group to receive scholarship updates by sending a request to ChristaCoates@wcps.org.